Final Assignment Instructions:
In relation with the date and format
- The deadline for the final assignment is going to be December 19th at the class schedule time 19,00 h. The classroom designated for the last Assignment presentation and the next day event is 1G2. We also remind you that we have a special event 20th “Open class” in which all the units of Design Studio produce an exhibition about the semester work. At the end of this event we will pin the grades of the course at the unit cork-board.
- It is compulsory to have the file with your data and a Portrait Picture of you in order to refresh in our minds your trajectory along the course. (Folders without this information will be out of the grades)
- All the documents need to be folded to A-3 format in order to put them in your course folder.
- The folder must be organize in sections related with the three exercises of the course, and the final assignment needs to be clearly labelled as an independent section
- Don´t forget to put your complete name and the level (P5 or P6) in all your documents
- For the second exercise in which you worked in groups, you can put an A3 file indicating the member of the group that has the complete set of documents of the final proposal, and one picture of the model printed to facilitate a quick recognition
- It is not possible to collect the models, so be sure you take good pictures of them to express the process followed
In relation with the number and type of documents
As you know the contact with the ground, the relationship stablished with the existing building, the underground levels, the whole different circuits of vertical and horizontal movements, the sequence of uses designed, the general layout of these uses, the intermidiate types of plans depending on the special parts of the program, the endings of the vertical structure, the relation between the structure and another systems used, etc, are the main topics in our conversations at class, so you have to represent these issues as best as you can.
You can organize your final A2 documents as you want in order to explain your project bu the following information need to be integrated
- Site plan with your proposal in the existing contextual place
- Process Summary. Diagrams, collage, maps, models that help us to identify the proposal strategies, and the process used
- Set of plans; basement, ground floor, significant intermediate levels, top level, roof plan. [with pieces of furniture, labels indicating uses and the hight of the slab (+ 3.00 +8,00 -4,00), Oriented scale 1/250]
- At least two perpendicular sections and one elevation to explain the materialization of the project [with pieces of furniture, labels indicating uses and the hight of the slab (+ 3.00 +8,00 -4,00), Oriented scale 1/250]
- An Axonometric or three dimensional drawing explaining the general systems of the building
- Photomontage or collage that expresses the atmosphere of your proposal.
- Last proposal Model and pictures of it included in the A2 documents
The scales estimated for each type of document are only indicative, you can adapt them depending on your own proposal necessities.
See you there!
Blanca Lleó Unit 12
Blanca Lleó + Juan Elvira + Fernando Pino
Design Studio 5 y 6. Fall 2017_ETSAM Madrid
Exercise 3: Vertical Mobility. Vertical Campus ETSAM Madrid.
The program proposed is a Vertical Structure that will contain two faculties with nearby programs, which will allow incorporating a large part of common uses not only among them but with the actual School of Architecture. Superior School of Arts and Architecture and Superior School of Audiovisual Communication and Multimedia which will train those who will present the culture and work produced in this new landmark for the culture of the city.
Besides the approach of the amalgam of programs organized in height for public and private use, as well as the thought on the central topic of the course, in this case about the movement in vertical architecture, it will be of great importance to incorporate open spaces in height as part of the proposal. The second line of approach to the project will be the organization of a vertical growth and the way in which it can be considered from the choice of constructive and structural systems to be used.
As a students you know the teaching architectural program of a High School of Architecture pretty well, so you can check the necessary data in order to think about new ways to organize the new proposed architecture teaching model.
The Vertical Structure proposed needs to host two really strong linked Universities. The first one as not only extension of the current School of Architecture ETSAM, but also as a model integrating other Art fields. The second one has to include the High School of Visual Communication and Media studies. That means there will be an intermidiate or shared program connecting both universities which has to be designed.
LIVING IN MOTION
Here you can find the types of intended uses and the general square meters needed as a program orientation for each university and for common spaces.
HIgh School of Architecture and Arts 3000 m2
Apart of the theory class rooms and general stuff you need to house the next list of programs:
7 Studios in different medium and small sizes
1 Big Drawing Studio ( 75 drawing posts)
2 Sculpture Studios and 2 Painting Studios
1 Engraving and stamping workshop
1 Materials Laboratory
1 Big Models and 3D printing Lab.
4 Workshop classrooms multiple technics
4 Graphic classrooms in different sizes
High School of Visual Communication and Media studies 2000 m2
The theory classrooms could be shared by both universities and you must add these other requirements:
1 Languages Lab 10 chambers y 12 lecturer posts
1 Writing area for 28 positions
2 Graphic Design classrrom
3 Radio Studios and 2 TV Studios
2 Video Assembly rooms
2 Photography Studios
2 Photography Laboratory
1 Image Studio Big Formats splittable
2 Multimedia computer rooms
1 Translation laboratory,
2 room with simultaneous translation booths.
Shared Spaces and Open Spaces 3000 m2
It will also include areas of common use that will have spaces for Management Offices, Representative area, Cafeteria Bar Restaurants and dining rooms, Library, Large-format auditorium for 700 people, and whatever uses the student deems necessary to complete their program proposal in a coherent manner.
The shared program has to be completed with a small residential space for Exchange Professors.
Here you have attached the instructions to prepare the 2nd exercise assignment. Please read them carefully and try to follow as close as possible.
ETSAM Design Studio 5 & 6 Fall 2017 Blanca Lleó Unit
LIVING IN MOTION
Bilingual Course: English & Spanish
For hundreds of thousands of years humans were nomads. Since then, the unstoppable need to go back and forth is associated with our survival and our evolution. The agricultural revolution -some 12,000 years ago- enabling settlements and trade. And with it, the movement took on a new dimension: not only were bodies moving, but also goods and ideas.
Cities have been the most radical materialization of the primordial perpetual motion. And today, cities as complex systems of invaluable centripetal force, are the most human expression of exchange, conflict and accelerated transformation.
The city is being deeply transformed by the new ways of mobility, and it is also changing in its speed, decreasing its rhythm in specific places and relocating the areas of high intensity and activity. The core of the city is exploding in multiepicenters, multiplying also the offer of possible new programs directly connected with the infrastructural elements. New territories around these infrastructures of connection are appearing as a pretty important opportunity to invent programs and to adapt the city and the architecture to the new necessities.
The driverless cars, the electronic development of micro vehicles like the monowheels or the electric bicycles, will change dramatically the way to understand the circuits of movement and their way to intertwine with the Architecture.
We propose a course focused on investigating – with ambition and without prejudice – the progress of a growing mobility inextricably linked to the lives of people in the city.It is designing living spaces present and future dynamism capable of melting in a continuous infrastructure, public places, buildings and technological systems.
Durante cientos de miles de años los humanos fueron nómadas. Desde entonces, la imparable necesidad de ir de acá para allá está asociada a nuestra supervivencia y a
nuestra evolución. La revolución agrícola -hace unos 12.000 años- propicio los asentamientos y el comercio. Y con ello el movimiento adquirió una nueva dimensión:
ya no sólo se desplazaban los cuerpos sino también las mercancías y las ideas.
Las ciudades han sido la materialización más radical del movimiento perpetuo primigenio. Y hoy, las urbes como sistemas motores complejos de incalculable fuerza centrípeta, son la expresión más humana del intercambio, el conflicto y la transformación acelerada.
La ciudad está siendo profundamente transformada por las nuevas formas de movilidad, y también está cambiando en su velocidad, disminuyendo su ritmo en lugares específicos y reubicando las áreas de alta intensidad y actividad. El corazón
de la ciudad está explotando en multi-epicentros, multiplicando también la oferta de
posibles nuevos programas directamente relacionados con los elementos infraestructurales. Nuevos territorios alrededor de estas infraestructuras de conexión
se presentan como una oportunidad muy importante para inventar programas y adaptar la ciudad y la arquitectura a las nuevas necesidades.
Los coches sin conductor, el desarrollo electrónico de micro vehículos como las monoruedas o las bicicletas eléctricas, cambiarán dramáticamente la forma de entender los circuitos de movimiento y su forma de entrelazarse con la Arquitectura.
Proponemos un curso centrado en indagar -con ambición y sin prejuicios- los avances
de una movilidad creciente indisolublemente unida a la vida de las personas en la ciudad. Se trata de proyectar espacios para vivir un dinamismo presente y futuro capaz de fundir en un continuo las infraestructuras, los lugares públicos, los edificios y los sistemas tecnológicos.
Unit 18. Blanca Lleó. Fernando Pino. Juan Elvira. Otoño / Fall 2017
Let´s make way for the final step! Here you have the instructions for the last submission of the season, please read carefully and keep to the point.
See you on Monday!
You can find in “issuu”, the pdf that contains the research work done by all of you during these last weeks. We are sure it will be a very useful document for the next two exercises of the course. issue Researchstudentsbook